UAlberta Humanities Centre closed after electrical fire last semester


The University of Alberta’s Humanities Centre has been closed after a fire occurred in late December. The fire started after a transformer overheated, spreading contaminants throughout the building. While no one was injured in the fire, all classes have been relocated for the Winter semester after it was found that smoke contamination continues to pose a health and safety risk in the building. UAlberta Professor Katherine Binhammer said that she hopes the building is reopened as soon as possible. “Right now the humanities disciplines don’t have a home, we don’t have a place to gather,” said Binhammer. “And that’s a significant part of the learning environment for us.”

CBC | Global News | Edmonton Journal | CTV News